[Advocacy Advisors] Legal actions - Freedom of Panorama

James Heald j.heald at ucl.ac.uk
Wed Jan 28 13:20:31 UTC 2015

One case of course was the Claes Oldenburg takedown against Wikimedia
Commons, in November 2012, for images of some of his large-scale public
outdoor sculptures:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Village_pump/Archive/2012/11#DMCA_Take-Down

However, the case is complicated because the take-down was under U.S.
law, even though some of the sculptures were in the UK and other
jurisdictions with more permissive rules.

Under the Berne Convention, freedom of panorama is a territorial
copyright exception which applies to the territory where the
*infringement* is alleged, not where the photograph was taken.  So a
photograph can be taken in the UK, and okay in the UK, but not okay in
the United States (nor perhaps even France).  Of course this directly
runs against the freedom for the same document to be accessible right
across the EU.

At the end of the day, it's not just about whether there have been legal
cases or not.  It's also about the chilling effect that there could be
legal cases.

Wikimedia Commons takes the view that it's not good enough to sat "Okay,
it's not legal, but we probably won't get sued" -- that is not a good
approach to encourage, not for a highly visible organisation like WP,
nor if people are to be encouraged to have a proper respect for
copyright laws.

   -- James.