[Advocacy Advisors] EU copyright consultation

Mathias Schindler mathias.schindler at wikimedia.de
Fri Mar 7 16:35:43 UTC 2014

> We could obviously have generated many more responses if we had wanted to.
> Any thoughts on when/how we should do that, if ever?

DG MARKT has not released any statements on the methodology of the
consulation analysis. According to Kerstin Jorna from the commission,
the methodology will be developed "on the fly" while they are reading
the responses. Most likely, similar/identical statements will be
considered as one statement. Multiplying the number of responses to
the commission will most likely not have a beneficial effect in this
case.

There might be future opportunities with a different calculation. Or
we might come up with a plan of creating many many responses that will
not be considered identical in nature and counted as one.

The next opportunity in my opinion, however, is a different one:
Analysis of the consultation raw data. Several people have urged DG
MARKT to release the raw data as soon as possible. If this happens
soon and if we manage to conduct analysis of the responses before the
commission, we can shape the perception of this consultation. This
would be a work item with high effort and potential high reward.

Mathias