[Advocacy Advisors] EU copyright consultation

Dimitar Parvanov Dimitrov dimitar.parvanov.dimitrov at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 21:25:09 UTC 2014

Hi,

I actually thought it is not wise to "overdo it" with the copy/pasted
deputy head of unit "Copyright" at DG MARKT and responsible for the
consultation. He said that while it is good to see one set of responses is
supported by more than one organisation, they are sceptical about mass
submissions, as they want to include all viewpoints and not just reflect
the most active groups. Still, if they present answers in a quantitative
way, it could come in handy to have the most respondents on your side.

About the data: so far the Commission has always released the full data
sets. Going through past consultations it is even possible to see how each
respondent answered. So the data will be published, we need to put the
emphasis on a timely release when we ask for it. That will be crucial.

In case they really go through with another attempt at a "notice and
action" Directive, they might actually open a new consultation. But that's
just guessing for now. Otherwise we don't need to wait for a call to give
our opinion. We can comment and release statements about the copyright
reform pretty much every step of the way. If the commission releases an
actual white paper we should be prepared to write up a position paper (the
more people follow the process actively, the higher our chances). The white
paper is expected before summer.

Dimi