[Advocacy Advisors] non-free academic publishing licenses

Luis Villa lvilla at wikimedia.org
Sun Aug 3 16:13:52 UTC 2014

On Sat, Aug 2, 2014 at 10:18 PM, Amgine <amgine at wikimedians.ca> wrote:

> I could imagine an entire digression on encouraging projects to use open
> access references. It's not always easy to find the open access editions of
> articles. Most of my partner's research is available via open access, but
> you'd never know that from google scholar[1].

I don't think that's fully appropriate for this list (both off-topic and we
don't have the right people here), but I'm curious where else (if anywhere)
such a discussion would make sense - wikimedia-l? Key village pumps?

> On another point, having a policy at a given wikipedia supporting open
> access research (and a growing number of governments require publicly
> funded research be published open access - pretty much 100% of the US
> National Institutes of Health research for example) only affects that
> specific wiki. Nice, but it would be nicer if it were a translingual effort.

Again, slightly OT here, so maybe direct responses just to me, but I'm
curious how folks think that might be done in a translingual way. As far as
I can see, short of a board policy there isn't much way to create such a
translingual policy. (We could, of course, hardcode certain open access
sources for special treatment in the code, but that seems like an inelegant
solution to me.)

By the way, for those of you interested in this and going to Wikimania,
they've called open access "open scholarship" and there are quite a few
interesting/relevant tracks, including:
https://wikimania2014.wikimedia.org/wiki/Submissions/Marking_open-access_references_cited_on_Wikipedia

Luis

--
Luis Villa
Deputy General Counsel

*This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you have
received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical
reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For more
on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.*