So, I've been talking to robla, Multichil and briefly betacommand on IRC
today, and here are some of the ideas we came up (while talking about me
possibly requesting commit to pywikipediabot) with, full logs below that...
* Be active on the IRC channel or mailing list and have submitted a
few good patches via Sourceforge or other methods.
* Keep it flexible, don't get strict on commit access, we haven't
been up before. It'd be nice to see a flow of new developers.
* Gained community consensus via the mailing list. "The request for
commit access can be simultaneous with the mail to the mailing list"
These are just ideas, and of course, can still be expanded or fine-tuned.
Basicly, if I get consensus from this post on my request for commit,
I'll submit a request for commit access via the correct email address.
As you'll see in the logs below, I'm basicly interested at this point in
time in maintaining the non-WMF family files in the SVN, and working on
the i18n translation that I hear you guys are planning to work on rather
soon. As a member of the translatewiki.net
staff, and an active user of
pywikipediabot, I think it'd be nice to help out there.
I've submitted a few patches via IRC before which have been commited,
and been active in the community, in the IRC channel and have probably
posted to the mailing lists (don't have time to dig that up now) a few
times, despite being subscribed for a long time.
[16:52:22] <Lcawte> robla: so, any news on pybot commit? What are the
ideas so far? I've only seen the mailing list ones
[16:53:18] <robla> Lcawte: so, in this case, I think I'll ask the person
asking for access to say "hi" on the mailing list
[16:53:36] <robla> as for a generalized process, I'm not sure
[16:53:40] <Lcawte> Hm...
[16:54:27] <robla> (to be clear, asking him to say "hi" and not granting
svn access yet)
[16:57:13] <Delta> robla: Id probably not grant access
[17:04:55] <Lcawte> Delta: any idea of what you'd like to see as
requirements for pybot commit?
[17:07:18] <Delta> Lcawte: several good patches and active with either
the mailing list/bug system/ or this channel
[17:07:24] <Multichil> Lcawte : Do you want access?
[17:10:13] <Lcawte> Active in this channel, thats mainly bots and the
odd occasional person when someone shows up for help
[17:10:20] <Lcawte> Multichil: yeah :P
[17:10:42] <Multichil> Anything in particulair? Maybe getting it translated?
[17:11:52] <Lcawte> I'd be happy to help whoever else wants to work on
that as well, yeah, maintaining family files, I've submitted a few minor
patches, if that means a few lines of code changed, one fixed a script
completely, the other added mainly Wikia support to a script (timestamps)
[17:12:07] <Lcawte> (the patches were through this channel)
[17:13:40] <Multichil> Lcawte : Next week we're planning on adding
pywikipedia to translatewiki :-) That's why I'm asking
[17:14:07] <Multichil> You're not a totall strange to the community so
[17:14:40] <Lcawte> I know a few people are interesting with helping
with that, so I'll be around and offering to help if people want
[17:14:47] <Multichil> We've never been really strict, no need to become
[17:14:57] <Lcawte> I think Siebrand is interested in helping with it as
well, not sure though
[17:15:25] <Multichil> He will also be there, Gerard too
[17:15:42] <Multichil> http://nl.wikimedia.org/wiki/Hackathon#Mensen
[17:16:17] <Lcawte> Thank goodness, because someone needs commit to
extensions so they can commit the Translate config
[17:23:10] <Lcawte> Multichil, robla, what do you recommend, as there is
no vetting procedure currently in place, start a post on the mailing
list and if theres a fair consensus, request it?
[17:24:19] <robla> Lcawte: that sounds good to me
[17:24:28] <Multichil> robla : Don't bother, just give him access ;-)
[17:24:31] <Lcawte> lol
[17:24:57] <Multichil> Too much red tape with the same end result anyway
[17:27:01] <Lcawte> The only problem with requesting it, is I have to
get past Tim, I think he has auto-deny on my requests, or atleast with
extensions lol... I get he would like some decent lines of code from me
and all, but its kinda getting a pain in the butt not having it for
and stuff... (MediaWiki r79535, r79534, 79533 and
79531... and theres another one earlier than that..
[17:51:22] <robla> so, I don't know any of the history here. I like
what Lcawte is suggesting with maybe one minor tweak. the request for
commit access can be simultaneous with the mail to the mailing list
[17:53:42] <robla> Tim's concern last time I spoke to him about this was
just that he just didn't have a good sense of the pywikipediabot
community, so it was tough for him to make the call
[17:55:46] <Lcawte> Mm, kinda like my discussion about pybot commit for
my first extensions commit request
[17:56:52] <Lcawte> I wonder, what family files are out of date... :/
[18:01:51] <Lcawte> [17:59:34] <Lcawte> Hm, the i18n family needs
updating.. its missing a namespace or two, I know it is, because I added
one yesterday :P
[18:13:53] <Lcawte> Well, theres more than one out of date family file :|
[18:20:41] <Lcawte> robla: shall I email these ideas to the list?
[18:21:08] <robla> Lcawte: yeah, that'd be great
On 30/12/10 23:57, Rob Lanphier wrote:
We're cleaning out the commit access request queue, and came upon a
request for commit access to pywikipediabot. Two questions:
1. How should we generally vet these requests?
2. The access request is from this person:
Any objections to granting access for this person?
I'm "robla" on IRC, and I'm currently camped out in #pywikipediabot if
you'd like to ping me to discuss further.
Pywikipedia-l mailing list