[Wikipedia-l] Re: "adminship is no big deal"

Walter Vermeir walter at wikipedia.be
Wed Jan 18 09:51:41 UTC 2006

Habj <sweetadelaide at ...> writes:

> This statemant, "adminship is no big deal", originates from enwiki.
> Could someone please explain in what circumstances this saying was
> worded? I see it used meaning "adminship is no big deal, so you
> shouldn't be so careful who to elect for this task" as well as
> "adminship is no big deal, so you shouldn't try and find ways to get
> rid of admins who are obviously unsuitable for the job".
>
> My guess is: this sentence originates from the truly virgin stage of
> wikipedia, where some people wanted to avoid others starting fighting
> for admin (or at the time, "sysop") status. Currently, I see no reason
> for the remaining of this statements in various places in the
> Wikipedia namespace in various wikipedias - none at all.
>
> /Habj

I have not found the source from that quote. But I have found some postings
from the early days that are about this is and contain that attitude I think.

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.science.linguistics.wikipedia.misc/2197/
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.science.linguistics.wikipedia.misc/3804/
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.science.linguistics.wikipedia.misc/2172/

Walter