[Wikipedia-l] Re: "adminship is no big deal"

Anthony DiPierro wikilegal at inbox.org
Wed Jan 18 12:42:06 UTC 2006

On 1/18/06, Walter Vermeir <walter at wikipedia.be> wrote:
> I have not found the source from that quote. But I have found some postings
> from the early days that are about this is and contain that attitude I think.
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.science.linguistics.wikipedia.misc/2197/
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.science.linguistics.wikipedia.misc/3804/
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.science.linguistics.wikipedia.misc/2172/
>
> Walter

Interesting.  It looks like Jimbo forgot to create the "sysop" (4)
category and instead gave "sysop" (4) powers to the "community
members" (2).

"Adminship is no big deal" would seem to be talking about (2), where
"anyone can become a community member just by asking".  But actual
admin powers are closer to (4), of "which there might only be 1,
[Jimbo], or a very small number".

But then, this merge seems to have already taken place by the second
post (four months later), which eliminates the distinction and allows
"Old-hand/sysop"s to "be able to do a tiny number of destructive
(irreversible) things, IF we need to have those abilities for some
reason".

The plan from the first post actually seems better, to me.

Anthony