[Wikipedia-l] IRC and freenode

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Fri Jun 24 22:22:26 UTC 2005

Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> On 6/24/05, Anthere <anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>A little announcement by Lilo, the director of PDPC and the head of
>>staff of freenode. For those who do not know... Freenode is ... our irc
>>service...
>
> I'd think we'd be better off if people on this list donated first to
> wikipedia. Freenode is a nice project but wikipedia provides something
> quite unique.  We already have to run our own IRC servers for recent
> changes...

Freenode's an important service for the open source community at large;
it's helpful to be on the same network as it's a little easier to pop
over to another project's channel for help & to be helped.

We're really not interested in maintaining an IRC network of our own; we
have a limited read-only server for the RC changes, which doesn't
involve all the hassles of protecting against person-to-person attacks,
crapflooders, etc. The only reason we've got that at all is that the RC
bots kept getting automatically kicked from freenode due to their
volume, a very specialized case.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)