[Wikipedia-l] Re: IRC and freenode

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 24 22:35:43 UTC 2005

Gregory Maxwell a écrit:
> On 6/24/05, Anthere <anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>A little announcement by Lilo, the director of PDPC and the head of
>>staff of freenode. For those who do not know... Freenode is ... our irc
>>service...
>

> I'd think we'd be better off if people on this list donated first to
> wikipedia. Freenode is a nice project but wikipedia provides something
> quite unique.  We already have to run our own IRC servers for recent
> changes...

A couple of citations (I hope their authors do not mind me putting them
here, I perceive they should not be misinterpretated)

JeLuF: running irc servers for RC and running a real network for users
are two different stories.

brion: i don't think there would be any benefit to running our own irc
for discussion.

brion: it's extra work, extra both, extra worrying about managing it and
crapflooders and DoSers and yadda yadda yadda

In short, we dedicate another organisation to take care of a tool which
has become essential to us. I think this is fair to help them... just as
readers think we are an essential tool and support us.

'nuff on the topic. You want to help, you do. You do not want to help,
you do not. Simple and light like air :-)

Ant