[Wikipedia-l] Deletion mechanism on wikis other than en:?

Walter van Kalken walter at vankalken.net
Fri Aug 5 22:23:54 UTC 2005

David Gerard wrote:

>There's a big debate on en: right now about what to use as a deletion
>mechanism. The current [[:en:WP:VFD]] mechanism is very controversial -
>I and many others think it creates more acrimony than it's worth, and
>[[:en:user:Ed Poor]] actually deleted the page a couple of days ago!
>While it was quickly undeleted, it's set in motion debates about what to
>use for a deletion mechanism. Because I don't think anyone questions that
>we needsome sort of deletion mechanism for stuff that isn't obvious
>immediate speedy deletes - just that VFD is scaling badly and getting very
>acrimonious.
>
>So. What do other Wikipedias use as their deletion procedure?

Well on nl: we are still scaling reasonably well. Basically we do not
hold votes on all to be deleted articles. Only when a deletion is
controversial. 95% of the time it is not controversial and it goes. in
cases of "voting" we do not really vote. It is more a the admin who
decides to do the daily cleanup looks at it counts the opinions and does
whatever he feels has the majority. Seems to work peacefully enough
sofar. We do not really have any POV pressuring groups though as en:
seems to have.

Waerth/Walter