[Wikipedia-l] DW

Derek Ross derekross at fisheracre.freeserve.co.uk
Sun Oct 13 00:39:35 UTC 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeroen Heijmans" <j.heijmans at stud.tue.nl>
To: <wikipedia-l at nupedia.com>
Sent: Saturday, October 12, 2002 10:46 PM
Subject: [Wikipedia-l] DW

> As some of you may have seen from the Recent Changes page, I've been
> involved in an edit war with user DW (also appearing as various IPs
> starting with 209) over [[List of famous Canadians]]. DW, who did most
> of the initial work on the page wants to keep off Canadians that in his
> eyes are not famous. Most of the other editors (among others Camembert,
> GWO, and later I) argued that famous is a very subjective adjective, and
> that there is no reason not to add anybody that also has an article on
> Wikipedia (just having a bunch of empty links is less useful, except
> maybe for some very famous persons that lack such an entry).
>
> DW then started to vow he would keep reverting any changes regarding a
> Canadian music group (Be Good Tanyas). This evolved into name calling
> (especially directed at me), eventually in calling me fascist, etc. etc
> (see the talk page and edit history for some samples). I'm getting tired
> of dealing with DW, but I don't want to resort to banning or blocking of
> the page - not only would that make me a "fascist" (well, at least in
> DW's eyes), but he has made really valuable contributions in the past,
> and I don't want to scare away good editors.
>
> Any suggestions?

How about this.

Create a page called List of notable Canadians
Copy the contents of List of famous Canadians to it
Find all links to List of famous Canadians
Change them to point to List of notable Canadians

Then let DW do what he likes with the list of famous Canadians.  It sounds
like he's got a bad case of "ownership" for that particular page title.  If
he's abusive and starts making ad hominen attacks, you should either point
out that they are simple insults in an NPOV fashion or ignore him completely
as if he were a troll.

Cheers

Derek