[Wikipedia-l] the OsmosisTwo pest

Andre Engels engels at uni-koblenz.de
Tue Oct 1 08:11:26 UTC 2002

> http://www.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Special:Contributions&target=128.193.88.12
>
> this guy keeps making stupid comments on the OsmosisTwo page (which, as
> far as Mav & I can tell was created in error in the first place)
> i've checked his edits: his most contentious seems to be on  [[gun
> politics]] , butI'm not entirely sure about, being a Brit.

Checking his changes, I find that there are indeed some very doubtful ones -
getting into an edit war on [[gun politics]], putting in POV under the claim
of NPOV in [[Bicycling]], and vandalizing other people's comments on
[[Talk:History of the Soviet Union]].

> it's close to 2 in the morning here so i'm not entirely sure if he's
> harmlessly pratting about, or winding us up on purpose, or practising
> for some real hardcore vandalism.

I do get the impression that it's meant quite serious - I think that it's
someone who actually wants to help Wikipedia, but just needs to be taught
the way NPOV is practised around here. That if there is something one does
not agree with, one does not replace it with one's own opinion, but tries
to find a middle road.

> i'm tempted to ban this person, but I could be prejudiced by the silly
> little edit war on OsmosisTwo.
> this is one to keep a watch on, at least

That's for sure. However, banning does not help - the IP is dynamic. The
same person also appears as 128.193.88.28 and 128.193.88.60. Would it be
possible to change the search function for user contributions so that
it is possible to get all user contributions from 128.193.88.anything?

Andre Engels