[Wikipedia-l] Cologne Blue

Neil Harris usenet at tonal.clara.co.uk
Tue Jul 16 23:34:24 UTC 2002

tarquin wrote:

> Cologne Blue is really nice.
> I have a few reservations about it though:
> * it's a pity it doesn't include the Wikipedia logo
> * It could be just habit, but I was lost in the sidebar. Lots of
> Windows95-style "My Settings" and "My Page" etc. It took me ages to
> find "diff". Like I said, that could be habit.
> * lastly, and most importantly it's hard to read because it uses a
> sans serif font. For encyclopedia articles with large blocks of text,
> legibility is very important. I've just switched back to default
> because I was finding it hard to focus, & my reading speed has
> increased immediately.
>
> Overall, it's a super layout, much more welcoming & less
> "techy"-feeling than the default.
>
> tarquin

It's a lovely layout, but it's missing some usability engineering. I
agree that we should shift to something as well designed as this, but
please let's not make it the default skin just yet.

When we have server logs from the 'new' Wikipedia, we can consider doing
some optimisation, and then releasing a tuned version.

Neil