[Wikipedia-l] Cologne Blue

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Jul 16 22:50:24 UTC 2002

Neil Harris wrote:

> tarquin wrote:
>
>> Cologne Blue is really nice.
>> I have a few reservations about it though:
>> * it's a pity it doesn't include the Wikipedia logo
>> * It could be just habit, but I was lost in the sidebar. Lots of
>> Windows95-style "My Settings" and "My Page" etc. It took me ages to
>> find "diff". Like I said, that could be habit.
>> * lastly, and most importantly it's hard to read because it uses a
>> sans serif font. For encyclopedia articles with large blocks of text,
>> legibility is very important. I've just switched back to default
>> because I was finding it hard to focus, & my reading speed has
>> increased immediately.
>>
>> Overall, it's a super layout, much more welcoming & less
>> "techy"-feeling than the default.
>>
>> tarquin
>>
> It's a lovely layout, but it's missing some usability engineering. I
> agree that we should shift to something as well designed as this, but
> please let's not make it the default skin just yet.
>
> When we have server logs from the 'new' Wikipedia, we can consider
> doing some optimization, and then releasing a tuned version.
>
> Neil

It's all very nice, but most human users are creatures of habit.  There
comes a point in the face of rapid technological development when you
just don't want to learn any more.  When I went to Netscape 6, I
immediately switched the appearance back to the classic presentation.  I
also consistently use the File Manager from Dos 3.2.  Better looks do
not justify the loss of familiarity.
Eclecticology