[Wikimania-l] <-- WikiDragon alert

Alex Wafula xelawafs at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 23 15:36:03 UTC 2011

Hey Mateus,

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Though I don't see a 2013 bid for Kenya happening!

There's been talk of this even before Wikimania Israel back when Ting Chen visited Kenya, in Haifa as well as locally. However opinion of WMKE members has been to use the coming year to focus on growth of the chapter (ie after it's registration) through various projects, this being one of them (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/HIV-AIDS_project) among others.

But we definitely are looking forward to a Wikimania Kenya sometime later.

Alex.

________________________________

hahah Manuel,
But U.K. and Kenya haven't made yet the bid, But I think they'll be hard to match candidates.

Wikimedia Kenya will make a splendid bid, don't doubt it. I talk to these guys from Kenya every week and I see them are really focusing on it. Kenya, btw, have great facilities for international conferences http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenyatta_International_Conference_Centre some people consider the best place in Africa to make large conferences.

I talked to them (Alex Wafula and Kosgei Kips Isaac from Wikimedia Kenya - know them at Wikimania 2011), they are just preparing some details to make the bid.

And about U.K., I chat wih Rich Farmbrough a lot in the bus to Jerusalem, leaving Haifa, and he told me about the plans for Wikimania U.K. 2013. He's thinking about Oxford and Liverpool.
It's clear that U.K. easily can hold a Wikimania =p
MateusNobre
MetalBrasil on Wikimedia projects
(+55) 85 88393509
              30440865