[WikiEN-l] iCorrect

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Mon Mar 28 18:59:12 UTC 2011

> On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 11:05 AM, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 28 March 2011 15:34, Scott MacDonald <doc.wikipedia at ntlworld.com>
>> wrote:
>>> E-mail OTRS and you're dealing
>>> with a non-editorial non-authority, who might not believe who you are,
>>> and
>>> probably won't accept your own testimony as other than worthless. Even
>>> if
>>> you convince the OTRS person, he might well get reverted by someone
>>> who
>>> can't see the e-mails.
>>
>> However if OTRS can't it through we are dealing with a situation more
>> complex than setting the record strait
>>
>>> Now, along comes another way of people setting the record straight,
>>> and you
>>> reject it because a) it doesn't comply with policy b) people may pay
>>> $1,000
>>> to impersonate someone c) you choose to be cynical about their
>>> identity
>>> checking d) it doesn't make sense to you.
>>
>> The kind of people who might normally be expect to spend that kind of
>> amount on reputation management have better and cheaper options.
>
> To wit, why not pay $1,000 to get someone else to deal with OTRS for
> you?  For $1,000 surely you can hire an expert in the OTRS process to
> draft up a letter, have a notary to come to your house, notarize your
> signature on the document, and scan it in.

Actually, that might not be possible. It seem simple to you because you
are familiar with Wikipedia; the chances of a wealthy celebrity, or
anyone they might hire, being so is slim.

And don't tell me they could hire some banned Wikipedian... Although some
public relations professionals are getting training and might someday be
able to actually get something done.

Fred