[WikiEN-l] Eschatology and Wikipedia

Tony Sidaway tonysidaway at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 10:33:12 UTC 2010

On 23 December 2010 08:41, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't have WMF numbers, but one contributor on mediawiki-l, who runs
> an intranet covering a large public service organisation in the US,
> reported a remarkable uptake in wiki participation just by going to
> FCKeditor. The users are smart, capable and competent people in their
> fields, but were seriously put off by wikitext.

I took a look at this:

http://ckeditor.com/demo

While that demo doesn't really match what a fully integrated
Mediawiki-based WYSIWYG editor would look like (no internal links so
you have to enter the full URL for every link, for instance), it does
give a taste for how ckeditor would differ from the plain text and
markup we use now.

Personally I find that kind of stuff hopelessly confusing and
off-putting, and I would hate to have to use it, but I take your point
that it might improve takeup for people who find to messing with
complex toolbars easier than learning half a dozen simple text markup
rules ([[a|b]], [a b], ''italic'', ''bold''',' <ref name=></ref>,
==section==).