[WikiEN-l] Eschatology and Wikipedia

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 08:41:28 UTC 2010

On 23 December 2010 02:37, Tony Sidaway <tonysidaway at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have to disagree strongly with the calls for WYSIWYG editing, not
> that it's likely to materialize anytime soon. Wikipedia needs to
> encourage people to concentrate on meaningful content, not dick around
> with cosmetic matters.

I think our current markup is one of our biggest barriers to participation.

I don't have WMF numbers, but one contributor on mediawiki-l, who runs
an intranet covering a large public service organisation in the US,
reported a remarkable uptake in wiki participation just by going to
FCKeditor. The users are smart, capable and competent people in their
fields, but were seriously put off by wikitext.

- d.