[WikiEN-l] Eschatology and Wikipedia

Tony Sidaway tonysidaway at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 10:43:07 UTC 2010

On 23 December 2010 10:33, Tony Sidaway <tonysidaway at gmail.com> wrote:

> Personally I find that kind of stuff hopelessly confusing and
> off-putting, and I would hate to have to use it, but I take your point
> that it might improve takeup for people who find to messing with
> complex toolbars easier than learning half a dozen simple text markup
> rules ([[a|b]], [a b], ''italic'', ''bold''',' <ref name=></ref>,
> ==section==).

To clarify my skepticism, the complexity of Wikipedia doesn't arise at
the user interface level at all but at the level of social
interaction. This is unavoidable because you're dealing with other
human beings, not a machine.  The complexity is necessary, even
desirable, for exactly the same reason.