[WikiEN-l] So what does Flagged Revs feel like?

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 18:17:56 UTC 2009

The comparisons being made to NPP are interesting, because I see a lot
of the problems NPP does not pick up--the articles which drop off the
bottom of the list after a month and consequently that we no longer
keep track of, the absolutely lousy articles people often pass over
without notice, or with just a tag, when a delete nomination is what
is needed, and of course the over-eager or incorrect nominations for
deletion. I would say of the pages actually checked, about 20% are
being done wrong in one way or another--or perhaps it's 10%. It's
still over a hundred pages a day.

If enWikipedia has only 4,000 active editors, and we don't do better
at this than, we are going to keep up with only a very few articles.
The plan will work , though, for the most watched articles,
fortunately where they are needed, because that's the ones where
people people catch errors now. In other words, as a substitute for
semi-protection for most semi'd pages, not flagging a significant
number of pages addition to them.  It won't do a thing to reduce the
gross vandalism that now gets uncaught for hours. It might provide a
clearer focus on the ones that get caught in a few minutes, and keep
the vandalism off them for those few minutes.  But that's all that can
be expected of it

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.