[WikiEN-l] So what does Flagged Revs feel like?

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 18:37:01 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 2:17 PM, David Goodman <dgoodmanny at gmail.com> wrote:
> The comparisons being made to NPP are interesting, because I see a lot
> of the problems NPP does not pick up--the articles which drop off the
> bottom of the list after a month and consequently that we no longer

The place where the comparison to NPP falls short is that NPP doesn't
*do* anything, except coordinate with other people using the
feature.... and people don't use it because it doesn't do anything

In the past couple of days only 84 users have patrolled a page created
by someone else on ENwp. Of the 1344 new pages patrolled by
non-authors in this sample, 631 of them were done by only the top four
users (DragonflySixtyseven, Shadowjams, Racklever, NuclearWarfare) and
1091 by the top 20.

I think it's reasonable to believe that more people will participate
with a system which does something useful (and which doesn't forget).
But we'll have to see.

[snip]
> number of pages addition to them.  It won't do a thing to reduce the
> gross vandalism that now gets uncaught for hours. It might provide a
> clearer focus on the ones that get caught in a few minutes, and keep
> the vandalism off them for those few minutes.  But that's all that can
> be expected of it

On popular articles we should be looking for something else— I agree
that on popular articles the vandalism improvement will be smaller
than on more obscure articles,  but on the popular articles the real
advantage over normal protection is that it OPENS UP EDITING again.

(I think established users forget how annoying becoming autoconfirmed
is— you have to wake a week and make a bunch of edits to non-semied
pages. This is pretty obnoxious when you just want to correct a simple
error on a single article)