[WikiEN-l] Notability and ski resorts (was: Newbie and not-so-newbie biting)

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 08:10:05 UTC 2009

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 5:59 PM, Jussi-Ville Heiskanen
<cimonavaro at gmail.com> wrote:

> I know this is mildly on a tangent, but I find it interesting
> nevertheless...
>
> Wouldn't that most likely be:
> * [[Prehistory & history of something in the Bronze Age]] ?
>
> Or something like that...

At a very quick glance, the term "history" is also used: [[Prehistoric
Central North Africa]] has the category [[History of North Africa]]

To me, the distinction seems a bit irrelevant when you're simply
describing events in one long sequence. Sure, the source of the
information changes, but not the events you're describing.

> PS. Feel free to moderate me if this is found to be too far
> from being of the topic of this list ;-D

This kind of discussion is definitely on topic. Using real or
hypothetical Wikipedia articles to examine how certain issues (whether
naming, content, notability, political,...) arise is one of the main
uses of this list. It only becomes off topic if we diverge into
discussing the thing itself for its own sake.

In other words, discussing how to name history articles is totally
on-topic. Discussing history for its own sake is off-topic...after a
while.

Also, to clarify how moderation works: All users are either "on
moderation" (have their moderation flag set) or not. You are not. So
your posts go directly to the list - no one has to approve them. It's
only users on moderation that have each post approved one at a time.
It's a lot of work, so we try to keep as few list members on
moderation as possible.

Steve