[WikiEN-l] Notability and ski resorts (was: Newbie and not-so-newbie biting)

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 15:22:01 UTC 2009

A modern book length biography of Johnson would certainly have
chapters for different stages in his life (though Boswell wrote his in
chronological order by year, but otherwise in a single continuous
sequence (with the result that in the usual modern edition, the 4 vol.
work needs a 2 vol. index.).

An article on it, print or encyclopedia, would have subheadings. The
virtue of summary style is not just subdivision, but that our readers
have multiple goals in mind, and the summary articles act as  brief
accounts. But we   never should be writing a book-length biography,
although we could in many cases find the necessary material, based
entirely on secondary & tertiary sources. We could do even more: there
are book-length works based on specific  periods in his life
(Kaminski's "Early career of Samuel Johnson";  Clifford's "Dictionary
Johnson : Samuel Johnson's middle years".

 .
David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.