[WikiEN-l] Wikimedian image restorations exploited on eBay

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 17 14:23:33 UTC 2009

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 3:04 PM, Michel Vuijlsteke <wikipedia at zog.org> wrote:
> 2009/9/17 Carcharoth <carcharothwp at googlemail.com>

<snip>

>> Thanks for those examples. An excellent restoration. I'd love to
>> discuss the missing hand in more detail some time, as that is a good
>> example of something I think can be controversial. You absolutely have
>> to make clear when that sort of thing is done, and how and why.
>>

> Ah: "Restored version of File:Andrew
> Curtin.jpg<http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Andrew_Curtin.jpg>.
> Dust, scratches and tears removed. Parts reconstructed by using other half
> of stereophotograph[1] <http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/cwpbh.01289> Histogram
> adjusted and cropped."

Missed that. Thanks.

Really, there should be a section for restoration notes. Shoehorning
them into the "Other versions" field doesn't really work for the cases
where you want to make clear what the work done was. Either it is
routine enough not to need crediting, or it is involved enough and
sufficiently different to require detailed notes.

Also, "other versions" tends to be used as a catch-all for a wide
range of situations, from cropping to similar pictures taken in the
same photo-shoot. Really, a dedicated field for originals that have
been restored would be good.

Carcharoth