[WikiEN-l] Wikimedian image restorations exploited on eBay

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 14:49:03 UTC 2009

2009/9/17 Carcharoth <carcharothwp at googlemail.com>:

> Really, there should be a section for restoration notes. Shoehorning
> them into the "Other versions" field doesn't really work for the cases
> where you want to make clear what the work done was. Either it is
> routine enough not to need crediting, or it is involved enough and
> sufficiently different to require detailed notes.

Yes. Even though a restoration may not create a new copyright, it is
absolutely relevant to have full details on the restoration, and to
suggest reusers note the restoration (e.g. "Sir James Foo, 1875,
photographed by Fred Bar, 2009 restoration by Fred Quux") so as to
correctly inform their readers (as well as motivating the restorers).

The eBay reseller named at the top of this thread may (or may not)
have done something morally questionable, but I think it's a major
stretch to claim they've actually done something illegal, or would
lose if sued.

- d.