[WikiEN-l] Wikimedian image restorations exploited on eBay

Michel Vuijlsteke wikipedia at zog.org
Thu Sep 17 14:04:30 UTC 2009

2009/9/17 Carcharoth <carcharothwp at googlemail.com>

> On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 2:44 PM, Michel Vuijlsteke <wikipedia at zog.org>
> wrote:
> > 2009/9/17 Carcharoth <carcharothwp at googlemail.com>
>
> <snip>
>
> >> And in any cases, some aspects of restoration *are* creative (mainly
> >> the ones that involve filling in missing material), but those can be
> >> controversial.
> >
> > Matter of interpretation. Take this portrait I restored:
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Andrew_Curtin2.jpg
> > Can you tell what I filled in? This is the original image:
> > http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Andrew_Curtin.jpg
> >
> > Skill involved, sure. But no artistry.
> >
> > Adding a hand was an order of magnitude easier than adding the missing
> parts
> > of his pants, by the way. :)
>
> Thanks for those examples. An excellent restoration. I'd love to
> discuss the missing hand in more detail some time, as that is a good
> example of something I think can be controversial. You absolutely have
> to make clear when that sort of thing is done, and how and why.

Ah: "Restored version of File:Andrew
Curtin.jpg<http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Andrew_Curtin.jpg>.
Dust, scratches and tears removed. Parts reconstructed by using other half
of stereophotograph[1] <http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/cwpbh.01289> Histogram
adjusted and cropped."

Examples of when the line is crossed between adding things and
> creating something new, would be good. I know of quite a few examples,
> but will have to come back to this later. Mainly digital composites
> and colouring ins of old photos.

Agree 100%.

Michel