[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia fundraising slogans from identi.ca and Twitter

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Sun Nov 15 02:29:49 UTC 2009

Steve Bennett wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 6:26 AM, William Pietri <william at scissor.com> wrote:
>
>> People are doing some interesting work with auto-optimized ad runs that
>> we could look at adapting for next year. Given our massive amounts of
>> traffic, we could accept a pretty broad range of slogans, and let the
>> system sort out which are the most effective combinations. Money aside,
>> there's something appealing about maximizing community involvement
>> everywhere we can.
>>

> Ew. Is that really what advertising and marketing have been reduced
> to? Spew out whatever random text as long as it gets the $$$? Please
> let us have some self-respect.

Hm. I'm not quite sure how you got that from my comment.

David pointed us to a variety of clever slogans written by the public.
Isabell was speculating that most of them wouldn't work. I'm just saying
that we don't have to speculate; we can run all the ones that don't seem
blatantly counterproductive, and find out how well they do. Even better,
we can automatically optimize which we show and how.

That's not to say we can't depart from the most effective options if we
want to. But it seems like a good place to start.

William