[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia fundraising slogans from identi.ca and Twitter

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 02:41:00 UTC 2009

2009/11/15 William Pietri <william at scissor.com>:

> David pointed us to a variety of clever slogans written by the public.
> Isabell was speculating that most of them wouldn't work. I'm just saying
> that we don't have to speculate; we can run all the ones that don't seem
> blatantly counterproductive, and find out how well they do. Even better,
> we can automatically optimize which we show and how.
> That's not to say we can't depart from the most effective options if we
> want to. But it seems like a good place to start.

It is not in fact that easy - because every slogan has to be
translated into a pile of languages (by volunteers), and every banner
has to be tested thoroughly in all translations (some this year broke
in IE6/7). So there really isn't that much room to move. Erik Moeller
posted about this on the wiki, explaining in detail what's going on,
but I can't find the link right now.

- d.