[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia fundraising slogans from identi.ca and Twitter

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 14:06:50 UTC 2009

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 10:54 AM, Ryan Delaney <ryan.delaney at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think self-respect is a luxury for us folks who don't have to worry about
> meeting fundraising goals. All those servers and all that bandwidth isn't
> free. These ads were bad, but they're improving. I think we ought to be
> willing to accept some fundraising once a year if we can keep it in mind
> that these fundraising drives keep corporate advertizing off Wikipedia. That
> alone ought to put this in perspective.

Yeah, but you're implying a false dichotomy of EITHER "we put up with
all manner of tacky, tasteless slogans, leaving all choices to the PR
team" OR "Wikipedia fails to meet its fundraising goals and goes off
the air".

There are many possibilities in between. Perhaps its fundraising goals
have become more ambitious recently. Didn't we read somewhere that the
annual maintenance costs are met in the first few days of each
fundraising season?

Steve