[WikiEN-l] The Cat Cat, was Re: fictional categories

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 4 16:45:35 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 4:37 PM, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 1:31 AM, Magnus Manske
> <magnusmanske at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Is lolcat in the list of fictional cats?
>
> To take a concrete example, is "ceiling cat" a fictional cat?
> Interesting question. Clearly the cat in question existed. But the
> whole mythos of "ceiling cat is watching you" seems fictional somehow.
>
> Anyway the previous comment about Felix the Cat being itself a
> category reminded me how much I dislike categories. You never know
> whether category membership is taxonomic (the subject of this page
> *is* a fictional cat) or thematic (the subject of this page is
> *related* to fictional cats). Same goes for subcategories.

Ideally, you would label categories as being of one type or the other,
but people seem to object to that for some reason. The closest we came
was the templates developed for some version of Category intersection.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Category_intersection

Oh, here we go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Category_types

Category types. Marked as failed, but someone could try and revive it again.

Carcharoth