[WikiEN-l] Request to Wikipedians for BBC Documentary

Peter Coombe thewub.wiki at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 14 10:29:31 UTC 2009

2009/8/12 Cathy Edwards <Cathy.Edwards at bbc.co.uk>:
>> Dear Wikipedians,
>>
>> We're making a 4-part documentary series marking 20 years of the World
>> Wide Web, Digital Revolution. ). This comprises an interactive website
>> (http://www.bbc.co.uk/digitalrevolution/), and four documentaries for
>> broadcast on BBC Two at the beginning of 2010, in the UK and across
>> the world.
>>
>> Our first programme, provisionally titled "The Great Levelling", asks
>> questions about the power shifts and democratisation the Web has
>> brought about. A major part of this programme centres around Wikipedia
>> - as a community project which really brings these kinds of issues
>> alive. We're interviewing Jimmy Wales, as well as a couple of US
>> Wikipedia contributors, one of whom has written a lot of articles as a
>> lay expert, and another who has helped monitor dodgy edits by e.g. big
>> business / politicians.
>>
>> To add to and enrich the programme we'd really love to interview a UK
>> Wikipedian. We're looking for a passionate Deletionist - someone who
>> identifies with the goals of Deletionism to create a high quality
>> encyclopaedia, and does a lot of this kind of quality control
>> themselves - perhaps someone who is a member of the Association of
>> Deletionist Wikipedians.
>>
>> It sounds like this debate peaked a couple of years ago, but we are
>> taking a historical approach - have you been involved in this debate
>> in the past? Or, I understand a hot topic of debate at the moment is
>> biographies of living people. Do you have strong feelings about how
>> much this should be regulated - how high the threshold for inclusion
>> should be?
>>
>> If you can help us, and would like to be involved in the debate, it'd
>> be really great to hear from you. Either reply to the list, or to me
>> at cathy.edwards at bbc.co.uk, or by phone - 07800 794299.
>>
>> Best wishes,
>>
>> Cathy
>>
>> Cathy Edwards
>> Digital Revolution
>> Room MC4 C6, BBC Media Centre, 201 Wood Lane, London, W12 7TQ
>> M 07800 794299
>>
>> digital revolution (working title) is an open and collaborative
>> documentary about how the web is changing our lives
>> join the conversation on the web at www.bbc.co.uk/digitalrevolution or
>> follow us on twitter @BBCDigRev

If the "Association of Wikipedians Who Dislike Making Broad Judgments
About the Worthiness of a General Category of Article, and Who Are in
Favor of the Deletion of Some Particularly Bad Articles, but That
Doesn't Mean They Are Deletionists" gets a mention, I'll be very happy
:)

http://snurl.com/pvcl8

Pete / the wub