[WikiEN-l] Civility poll results

Emily Monroe bluecaliocean at me.com
Wed Aug 12 14:51:36 UTC 2009

> Consensus process can be tedious in person, where the communication
> bandwidth is far higher than mere text, we have tone of voice,
> pauses, body language (which is highly efficient compared to text at
> communicating intention).

If anyone of you have attended a Quaker "worship meeting with emphasis
on business", you'll understand just how true the above statement is.
There's a joke online that it takes the whole meeting and 3-8 months
for Quakers' to change a lightbulb. After all, they have to refer the
"issue" to multiple committees, and the oldest member *just has* to
break consensus right before the lightbulb is going to be changed, and
then have to go to the hospital before the next business meeting.

But in all honesty, think about it. Can you imagine trying to
comprehend consensus and improve Wikipedia *at the same time* if
you've never experienced consensus in your lifetime?