[WikiEN-l] Civility poll results

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Aug 13 22:14:50 UTC 2009

Surreptitiousness wrote:
> FT2 wrote:
>
>> The main obstacle would be getting it used. I can see it being a nice idea
>> but little used, unfortunately.
>>
> I think if we "abolished" deletion and rather moved articles to draft
> space, you'd see it used a lot.  Obviously, really bad articles would be
> deleted, but most of those are caught by csd.  It could liberate the
> wikipedia, when you think about it.  Mergers may become much more likely
> to happen, since there would actually be a tangible result in merging a
> draft space article into a main space article.  I think it has potential
> if we do reframe afd along the lines of keeping as a main space article
> and sending to draft space. Cleanup might happen more often.  I'd
> imagine DRV would become drafts for review.  We might have to loosen the
> grip WP:N has though, or this could become a tool used to keep
> "relatively" good articles from main space because of "I don't like it".
> The idea has potential, it just needs a good salesman and a good grip on
> pitfalls.

My guess is that it would eventually be used as people found out about
it, but it could open up a whole new range of problems: competing
articles, conflicts with existing material on a merger, knowing when to
get rid of draft articles that have been abandoned by their authors.  If
someone just wants a quiet space while he is developing an article, how
does a user sub-space not fulfill this?

Ec