[WikiEN-l] Civility poll results

wjhonson at aol.com wjhonson at aol.com
Wed Aug 12 23:51:28 UTC 2009

I'll bite.  It's an ad-hoc way of finding out if there's something
wrong.  Those who feel strongly, mostly those who got annoyed by
someone biting them are going to respond.  The majority perhaps, who
don't feel one way or the other, won't.  If 10% of the population
leaves every month because they got bit, do 10% new members show up
every month?  It's seems rather unscientific for such a group of
eggheads to depend on a survey of this sort to determine that a problem
actually exists that is worth trying to fix.

On another note, "fixing" civility problems more than they are already
fixed (i.e. policy and action) sounds a bit like someone is proposing a
stronger policy that may end up biting even more.  I am an aggressive
argumentalist and some take that to be insulting.  But being aggressive
is not the same as being uncivil.

<<On the point of a consensus that there are problems - is there anyone
who disagrees, strongly, with the thesis that we have civility
problems?>>