[WikiEN-l] GDFL compliance

Jay Litwyn brewhaha at freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Mon Aug 10 14:59:19 UTC 2009

"AGK" <wikiagk at googlemail.com> wrote in message
news:a342424e0906051009g38d27b9dked2193916a6dc98c at mail.gmail.com...

>> If not, is there a group of people somewhere who chase up copyvios like
>> this?
>

> I suppose the Free Software Foundation would be the body responsible for
> chasing up copyright violations, but, if they are anything like almost
> every
> other non-profit in the world, they probably don't have the time nor the
> resources to do so.
>
> The individuals whose work is the object of the violation (i.e., the
> editor
> who uploaded the photo) could also chase up the copyvio by means of a
> private lawsuit, but obviously that isn't going to happen.

It happens. It should be a last ditch. Last decade, when I was chasing up
problems on articles or encouraging standard HTML, most sites did hav a
webmaster account, even if it was not serviced. On rare occasions, I could
hit C on my browser (Lynx) and get the owner of a page addressed in my
e-mail software. Lawyers should not enter the equation unless you hav no
clue that the problem exists (and there are legal foundations that check
these things if you read http://bit.ly/hZsWF -- RE: When copyright paranoia
isn't ), or unless you ran out of clues about what to do about a problem.