[WikiEN-l] GDFL compliance

Jay Litwyn brewhaha at freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Mon Aug 10 14:47:17 UTC 2009

"Andrew Turvey" <andrewrturvey at googlemail.com> wrote in message
news:5465232.561244846011734.JavaMail.SYSTEM at ATSL_Laptop...
> ----- "Unionhawk" <unionhawk.sitemod at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Well, I mean, what difference does it make? I guess it probably should
>> have a link, but, honestly, with the number of Wikipedia images being
>> reused these days, I don't think it would be worth it to attempt to
>> track them all down...
>> - --Unionhawk
>
> Good challenge! I'd offer the following thoughts:
>
> 1) Advertising
>
> If everyone using Wikimedia content acknowledged that fact, it would be
> good advertising for us. It creates good will - people might come and see
> what other images we have and might donate some images or money
> themselves.
>
> 2) Contributors
>
> People who contribute free content don't get much from it and presumably
> don't really expect to. The one thing they are entitled to is
> attribution - a core part of our license. If they knew they were going to
> be attributed on Wikimedia and across the internet, they might be keen to
> contribute more. I've spoken to a number of freelance news photographers
> on flickr asking them to release their stuff for WP - knowing they will
> get wide recognition for their images may increase the success rates on
> those requests!
>
> I wouldn't be surprised if using free images becomes widespread among
> print media - I mean why not? The main concern is copyright, so if we can
> give them an easy "how to" I'm sure they'd jump at the chance.

I am remembering a time back in 1998, when I wrote a nasty song about an
American president, and I wanted radio stations to play it, especially in
D.C. I found one. I forget the name of it. The DJ recorded it over the
phone: two minutes on my account. Beats me if he aired it. It was easy to
figure out how to contact media centres on yahoo, back then. Maybe it still
is, if you get that http://howto.wikia.com figured out.

Subject: One Line Manual for Preferred Wikipedia Graphic Citations
Text: Link To Wikipedia User who made your work more credible or more
understandable.