[WikiEN-l] The end of donations

Jay Litwyn brewhaha at freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Mon Aug 10 15:23:46 UTC 2009

"stevertigo" <stvrtg at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:7c402e010907301615q7f86e8a1v5edb56ced5a80a18 at mail.gmail.com...
> Sorry, thought this was going to foundation-l.
>
> -S
>
> On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 3:14 PM, stevertigo<stvrtg at gmail.com> wrote:
>> It occurs to me that when people donate money to something, it is to
>> some degree with an expectation that the recipient entity grows to
>> eventually gain a certain kind of financial self-sufficiency. Is this
>> not also the case with Wikimedia and many charitable donations to it?

Carcharoth answered that question in October or November: can't do it for
reasons in 501(c) that give us tax advantages. For those tax advantages, we
forfeit our ability to acquire self-sustaining amounts of investment wealth;
forfeit becoming a donor institution like Carnegie was or is. Do not sweat
it. It is more important to carve policy that is well understood, that
serves to distinguish our standards from other channels, that is consistent,
and that is therefore complied with. That alone would make us
self-sustaining.
_______
My mind is like a blotter: Soaks it up, gets it backwards, and if
it is a mess to begin with, then you get a Rorshach.