[WikiEN-l] If anyone ever says Wikipedia is too deletionist

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 11 01:56:02 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 11:05 PM, Magnus
Manske<magnusmanske at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 5:25 PM, Carcharoth<carcharothwp at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 5:04 PM, Magnus
>> Manske<magnusmanske at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Well, it's completely new, so check out the manual link on the page,
>>> and the original requirements, which have been met or exceeded:
>>> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/WMDE_contract_offers/Rewrite_CatScan
>>>
>>> (note that, once my beta did all that was required, this contract
>>> offer was retracted)

>>> It's explained on the manual page - just append "|2" to the category
>>> you want to use with a different depth (in this example, 2).
>>
>> On closer examination, I don't think I can do what I'm trying to do
>> with that tool.
>>
>> I want to take a category tree of WikiProject tagged articles
>> (containing pages tagged in the talk namespace), and compare to a
>> category tree of articles tagged in the article space (normal,
>> reader-facing categories). And see where the overlap or lack of
>> overlap is. That requires some option to ignore namespaces when
>> comparing page names, OR for the "check for template" bit to have an
>> option to check the talk page of the articles in the category, rather
>> than the actual pages in the category. Can this tool do that?
>
> It can now :-)
>
> Try:
> <http://toolserver.org/~magnus/catscan_rewrite.php?depth=6&categories=Middle-earth&show_redirects=no&templates_no=ME-project%0D%0AWikiProject+Middle-earth&templates_use_talk_no=1&doit=1>
>
> One can now use template filters on talk pages instead of "actual"
> pages. Not the most generic option, but should cover many cases.
>
> Also, I found that your example query yield a rather astonishing
> amount of categorized redirects (750 out of 813). Therefore, I also
> implemented filtering the results by redirect (no redirects/only
> redirects/either).

Wonderful! Thanks so much for doing that! :-)

The redirects? I think most of them were left behind after merging. We
wanted to keep track of them, so we used redirect templates to
categorise them by type. At this point, I would pull out the guideline
to categorising redirects, and give a tour of WikiProject-categorised
redirects, but it's late here, so I'll go and look at the list you've
provided, which has several untagged articles (some of which will be
merged soon, in case anyone here goes all faint at the stubbiness and
cruftiness of them). At least one of them is a redirect turned back
into stub...

Carcharoth