[WikiEN-l] If anyone ever says Wikipedia is too deletionist

Magnus Manske magnusmanske at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 10 22:05:12 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 5:25 PM, Carcharoth<carcharothwp at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 5:04 PM, Magnus
> Manske<magnusmanske at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 3:54 PM, Carcharoth<carcharothwp at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> Is there a summary of what's changed?
>>
>> Well, it's completely new, so check out the manual link on the page,
>> and the original requirements, which have been met or exceeded:
>> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/WMDE_contract_offers/Rewrite_CatScan
>>
>> (note that, once my beta did all that was required, this contract
>> offer was retracted)
>>

>>> One thing: when selecting depth, sometimes you want one category to be
>>> 0 depth, but the other category to be a different depth. Is that not
>>> possible?
>>
>> It's explained on the manual page - just append "|2" to the category
>> you want to use with a different depth (in this example, 2).
>
> On closer examination, I don't think I can do what I'm trying to do
> with that tool.
>
> I want to take a category tree of WikiProject tagged articles
> (containing pages tagged in the talk namespace), and compare to a
> category tree of articles tagged in the article space (normal,
> reader-facing categories). And see where the overlap or lack of
> overlap is. That requires some option to ignore namespaces when
> comparing page names, OR for the "check for template" bit to have an
> option to check the talk page of the articles in the category, rather
> than the actual pages in the category. Can this tool do that?

It can now :-)

Try:
<http://toolserver.org/~magnus/catscan_rewrite.php?depth=6&categories=Middle-earth&show_redirects=no&templates_no=ME-project%0D%0AWikiProject+Middle-earth&templates_use_talk_no=1&doit=1>

One can now use template filters on talk pages instead of "actual"
pages. Not the most generic option, but should cover many cases.

Also, I found that your example query yield a rather astonishing
amount of categorized redirects (750 out of 813). Therefore, I also
implemented filtering the results by redirect (no redirects/only
redirects/either).

Cheers,
Magnus