[WikiEN-l] If anyone ever says Wikipedia is too deletionist

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 10 16:09:43 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 3:24 PM, Magnus
Manske<magnusmanske at googlemail.com> wrote:

> http://toolserver.org/~magnus/catscan_rewrite.php?

<sigh>

I've been trying for 10 minutes to get it to locate articles in a
category tree but missing a specific WikiProject tag, but either it's
not working, or I'm not selecting the right options.

Is there a way to run this scan tool over something like "Category:J.
R. R. Tolkien" or "Category:Middle-earth" (to about a depth of 6) and
see which articles *lack* the template "ME-project" (a redirect to the
template "WikiProject Middle-earth")?

An example is this article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Sigurd_and_Gudr%C3%BAn

Not yet tagged, but none of the searches I do are detecting this.

If the category depth is a problem, use the category "Poetry by J. R.
R. Tolkien".

But no matter what I do, putting a single category name in the
categories box, switching the tick box from article space to talk
space, and putting a template name in the "Has none of these
templates" bit, nothing works.

But then it is still in beta! :-)

I also noticed this:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/WMDE_contract_offers/Rewrite_CatScan

Ah, maybe...

<tries something silly - fails>

<reads Magnus's next e-mail with link to manual...>

Aha! Thanks! :-)

Carcharoth