[WikiEN-l] Online Newspapers Considering Subscription Model

Surreptitiousness surreptitious.wikipedian at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 10 14:18:15 UTC 2009

This conversation seems to be getting a little steeped in "attack" mode,
doesn't it?  I mean, if we take a step back, do we verify everything we
read ever period?  The fact that you just read this email seems to
suggest no, actually we don't.  So my question at this point in the
debate would be to ask myself why someone who lives "in a place where
there isn't any library for hours (or  days even)" would be overly
bothered about verifying right that second. Yes, sometimes you just
don;t verify citations.  Wikipedia is built up through a kind of trust
net, we're relying on other people to have checked the info out.
Personally I've always taken the stance that we should cite any source,
with as much detail as possible, and let the reader make the judgement
as to reliability, verifiability and so on. Anyone who accepts anything
at face value needs shooting, you ask me. I'll let Fred translate again
if need be.  David Mitchell made a similar point a while back in The
Observer.