[WikiEN-l] Lists and redlinks and link maintenance

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Wed Aug 5 16:33:12 UTC 2009

Carcharoth wrote
> The annoying thing about some of these redlinks, is that when you go
> looking for other pages where they are linked from, you run into
> problems if they are linked from a template.

Another thing which is rather more than annoying is that plenty of quite
unreferenced information is now placed in WP using these big
templates-as-surrogate-lists.

To be fair, many lists are somewhat unreferenced. But of course you can
add references to lists, and annotate them generally. There is no way
such templates are ever going to offer verification. I think this may be
a future consideration, even leaving aside the current and (I think)
regrettable trend to place templates for each office held in a biography
(which will collapse under its own weight one day).

Charles