[WikiEN-l] Lists and redlinks and link maintenance

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 4 11:15:53 UTC 2009

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 11:35 AM, Magnus
Manske<magnusmanske at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 2:42 AM, Carcharoth<carcharothwp at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> http://chem.pdx.edu/~wamserc/Pauling2009/awardhistory.html
>>
>> Now created:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linus_Pauling_Award
>>
>> 10 redlinks from 44 entries.
>
> 2 of the 10 we had under different titles; redirects are now in place.
>
> Another one actually had the wrong initial on the official awards
> page. We are now now more correct than the official page!
>
> I'll let them know...

Thanks. I see you found another redirect as well, so only 6 redlinks left there!

The annoying thing about some of these redlinks, is that when you go
looking for other pages where they are linked from, you run into
problems if they are linked from a template.

Stephen J. Lippard appears to be linked from over 100 pages:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:WhatLinksHere/Stephen_J._Lippard&limit=250

But in fact most of those links from from him being included in a
template that is used on the pages of everyone mentioned in that
template (i.e. a navbox):

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3AWhatLinksHere&limit=250&target=Stephen+J.+Lippard&namespace=10

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Winners_of_the_National_Medal_of_Science

I suppose I could delink that and then look to see which links are not
from the template, but is there a way to exclude links from
*transcluded* templates from the "what links here" listing?

Ditto for "John I. Brauman".

As for official pages getting spellings wrong, I can remember a few
others I've come across (all except the first were from the Royal
Medal page, and someone did write to the Royal Society to say that
different webpages on their website were giving different spellings,
but not sure if anything ever happened after that).

"Hugh Stott Taylor" vs "Hugh Scott Taylor" (still not sure about this).

"Thomas Maclear" vs "Thomas Maclean".

"John Allan Broun" vs "John Allan Brown".

"J. A. Hirst" instead of "Thomas Archer Hirst".

"Henry Nottidge Maseley" instead of "Henry Nottidge Moseley".

"J. R. Robinson" - a real puzzle until "John Thomas Romney Robinson" found.

The ones on the left, being the correct spellings according to other sources.

Carcharoth