[WikiEN-l] IRC Group Contacts Surgery, August 2009

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Mon Aug 3 01:26:22 UTC 2009

Yes I'm reminded of that lack of accountability in this exchange:
A: Why did you, as an admin, do action X within Wikipedia?
B: Well I asked on IRC and they told me to do it
A: Who told you to do it
B: I can't remember but I'm sure it was someone who thought I should do  it.
A: So you yourself have no reason to, as an admin, do the action you  did?
B: Yes I asked on IRC.

This is a true story.  Which is why IRC should be shut down.   There is no
accountability, and no transparency.  And yet things which pass  on it, are
then imposed in-project with no back-trail.

Will Johnson

In a message dated 8/2/2009 11:43:01 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
saintonge at telus.net writes:

Jay  Litwyn wrote:
> One reason they are not publicly archived is so that  discussions are not
> driven into DCC for want of not being held to  word, quoted, or caught
> displaying a degree of ignorance or a  prominent prejudice that you
actually
> want to be argued out of. It  can be live and off the cuff remarks,
perhaps
> even admissions about  personal and otherwise private life. There really
is
> no telling how  your logs will date. I remember one time when it was
newsfeed
> about  war in Tibet, then noise about magnetic levitation. I find IRC
tiring
>  to read and follow when it gets active, then boring when it slows down.
Then
> there was that ad for carbonated black piss. The trick is to make the
logs
> yourself in whatever group you want, and pretty much keep it to  yourself.

I prefer having nothing to do with  IRC, but I am often left with the
impression that its participants come to  some agreements which they
treat as decisive elsewhere.  That  subverts  acountaability.

Ec

To unsubscribe from this  mailing list,  visit: