[WikiEN-l] IRC Group Contacts Surgery, August 2009

Kwan Ting Chan ktc at ktchan.info
Mon Aug 3 11:38:25 UTC 2009

WJhonson at aol.com wrote:
> Yes I'm reminded of that lack of accountability in this exchange:
> A: Why did you, as an admin, do action X within Wikipedia?
> B: Well I asked on IRC and they told me to do it
> A: Who told you to do it
> B: I can't remember but I'm sure it was someone who thought I should do  it.
> A: So you yourself have no reason to, as an admin, do the action you  did?
> B: Yes I asked on IRC.
>
> This is a true story.  Which is why IRC should be shut down.   There is no
> accountability, and no transparency.  And yet things which pass  on it, are
> then imposed in-project with no back-trail.
>
> Will Johnson

The problem here is not the existence of IRC. The problem here is the
admin doing something without good reason to and using what someone said
off-wiki as an excuse. Admins is suppose to take responsibility for
their action, heck all editors are supposed to take responsibility for
their edits. If an admin take admin action just because someone told
them to, then the problem is that that particular person shouldn't be an
admin.

Are you honestly telling us you think shutting down semi-official IRC
channels would stop a big online community such as Wikimedia's
contributors to stop using non-wikis method of communication? The most
likely result is the same group of people who would be using IRC's to
just carrying on where they are unofficially. The next most likely
result is they would move elsewhere in terms of either location or
technology. The least likely result is they would stop altogether.

KTC

     - Heinrich Heine