[WikiEN-l] Notability in Wikipedia

doc doc.wikipedia at ntlworld.com
Tue Apr 28 08:10:30 UTC 2009

WJhonson at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 4/28/2009 12:30:58 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
> saintonge at telus.net writes:
>
> Requiring the author
> to explain why a property is notable makes it  easier to have shifting
> goalposts for notability to satisfy the AfD  denizens.>>
>

> -------------
>
> We have always placed the burden of proof-of-notability on the contributing
>  author, not on the rest of the AfD posters.  That's been true across each
> AfD for notability that I've seen.  I doubt it's going to change.  I  did
> not create that, it's just the way it is.
>
> Will Johnson

I disagree. To delete requires a consensus to delete. That is, a
consensus of people believe the article has no place on wikipedia.

There are still some of us who remember that [[WP:N]] and other
notability guidelines are only guidelines for a reason, they indicate
how debates have tended to go in the past, they don't determine them, or
legislate them.

For myself, I look at the merits of the article, and use common sense.
Actually, I NEVER read notability guidelines.