[WikiEN-l] Fwd: [Foundation-l] Board statement regarding biographies of l...

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Wed Apr 22 18:38:22 UTC 2009

In a message dated 4/22/2009 11:26:25 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
arromdee at rahul.net writes:

> Someone who claims to be a person who isn't Newsweek-level famous, and
> corrects
> a fact about themselves that's noncontroversial, probably is them.  Even
> if
> you doubt it's them, there are other factors which make it more likely;
> for instance, if the person is known to be on the Internet already.  Or if
> he
> corrects the fact in some online location that Wikipedia doesn't accept as
> source.>>
> -----------------------

You are coming a little closer now Ken.
But, anyone can "correct" a non controversial fact, without the necessity
for identying as the subject.  If the fact is non controversial, then for the
most part, I don't even expect a source !  Imagine that.  This is probably
most true for the removal of material, but I've seen additions that I let
pass just because I was like "well who cares about that anyway?"

IF the person is KNOWN to be on the internet, you stepped right into that
one Ken.  That's what I've been saying all along.  If they are known to be on
the internet, then you know how to validate well-enough that the subject is
the speaker and the speaker is the owner of some internet identity.  That's
good enough for me.  Some validation is just fine.  No validation, and
allowing a priveledge position to some speaker, is *not* fine.

We all can change articles.  No one gets a pass simply by claiming to be
the subject.  If you want a pass, you are going to have to show me evidence
that you are the subject.  If you are the subject and don't want a pass, fine,
go ahead, edit the hell out of your own article, as long as you stay within
the process.

You want to step out of the process?  Then you will need to show evidence
that you get that priveledge.  You don't get it by stamping your feet and
claiming priority.

Will Johnson