[WikiEN-l] Citizendium vs. Wikipedia

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Wed Apr 22 18:30:03 UTC 2009

In a message dated 4/22/2009 10:59:38 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
dgerard at gmail.com writes:

> Really, that statement looks like complete rubbish. Spam repository?
> Please do justify that assertion.>>
> -----------------

Hey you started it;)
You called Knol a spam repository.
I tend to live inside my own high-walled city on Knol, so I don't really
know who is building a nuclear weapon near me and who is farming pot.

However, when I have ventured out onto the wooley prairies, I find an awful
lot of medical articles by doctors and medical researchers, and then an
awful lot of opinion pieces such as "Why Wikipedia Sucks" or whatever.

It seems someone that Knol appealed to the medical profession early on, but
this is changing.  I'm monitoring the progress of the Top Viewed Authors
with a Knol table, and have recently started a Knol on the Top Viewed Knols as
well.  There is obviously to me, some way to cheat the numbers, maybe a few
of these authors are running login-and-click-me dial-up bots to boost their
numbers.

Surprisingly to me, the second most popular author is an outdoors guru
(hunting, camping, fishing, etc.)  I really haven't noticed that much spam, if
you are using the word to me "buy something from me", or "utter gibberish",
or "redirect yourself to my own website".  I just haven't seen it.

Will Johnson