[WikiEN-l] Fwd: [Foundation-l] Board statement regarding biographies of l...

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Wed Apr 22 18:48:12 UTC 2009

In a message dated 4/22/2009 11:31:48 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
arromdee at rahul.net writes:

> But if you're going to go that route, that means that once you have
> verified
> their identity, you should indeed let them fix the incorrect claim in
> their
> biography.
>
> That's not what you're saying.  You're arguing for a policy that says that
> someone without a source can't correct errors about himself *at
> all*--whether
> you looked up the official site for his radio station or not.  Verifying
> his
> identity is, in fact, completely irrelevant to this policy.>>

----------

No Ken.  Because we do not require sources for non-controversial points in
the first place.  The subject however doesn't have a special position to
makes those changes, anyone can make those changes without a source.

WHEN a statement is fact-tagged, then a source should be provided.  If a
statement is offensive, outrageous, utterly silly, disgusting, etc. then
anyone can remove it, provided it has no source.  Again the subject doesn't have
a special position there.

The sole place where the subject may have a special position, is in
providing a response to a well-sourced negative statement.  If we have a statement
like "Britney Spears stabbed her husband and was arrested" (L.A. Times, 12
Oct 2007), then she is quite welcome to provide an alternate version such as
"she stabbed him, but it was with a nail file and the skin wasn't even
broken, he's just a big cry baby bitch." (Britneyspears.com, "Why I was arrested
last week")

However, this does not mean that we remove the L A Times reference.  That
would be whitewashing the article.  We are here to provide the reading public
with the most consistent, neutral, inclusive view of pop culture.  That
isn't simply the glamour magazines, it has to include as well the news articles
that have negative material.

Will Johnson