[WikiEN-l] Fwd: [Foundation-l] Board statement regarding biographies of l...

Ken Arromdee arromdee at rahul.net
Wed Apr 22 18:31:03 UTC 2009

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 WJhonson at aol.com wrote:
> I have never once, not one single time, assumed they were the person in
> question.  I always verify, independently who they are, through some official
> channel.  For example, a radio host, can be verified by finding the official
> site for the radio station, checking for that person in their listings which
> frequently will have an "email me here"  button and you can confirm the
> email addresses are the same or something like that.

That's fine.

But if you're going to go that route, that means that once you have verified
their identity, you should indeed let them fix the incorrect claim in their
biography.

That's not what you're saying.  You're arguing for a policy that says that
someone without a source can't correct errors about himself *at all*--whether
you looked up the official site for his radio station or not.  Verifying his
identity is, in fact, completely irrelevant to this policy.